Friday, February 13, 2004

Sydney, Australia

Since I have arrived in Sydney I have changed. I am not saying I am a different person but certainty I feel like one. I am stronger; physically as well as mentally, to a degree I would not have thought possible even two months ago. I arrived in Sydney believing to be as strong and fit as I ever would be, thinking that exercise wouldn’t make a difference. I managed to lift myself halfway up the pull up bar the first time, the week after I had done one and now I can do five or more.

My coordination is improving to the extent that I can block a punch with a flick of my wrist and ride a bucking surfboard into the beach. This though is just the start of what I can and have achieved. Mentally I have felt myself changing and evolving, seen my writing skills improve each and every day. I see that my bag is always full of things I need and empty of those I don’t. I am on time or less than half an hour late now and I know I can do a lot more than I first thought. I used to cringe and freeze up when I tried to edit my work but now I do it voluntarily. I used to think I would never find living by myself and cooking easy, but thanks to Simon's coaching I do.

One of the achievements I am most proud of is that I now know I am clever and that people respect me. For the first time in my life it seems that many people are glad to see me and what’s more I think they regard me as an equal. I believe this change is due to the fact I regard myself as their equal and therefore I am. This is important to me because if you are not equal to someone you can never truly be friends with him or her. The truth I now know is that I was always equal but either they or I believed otherwise. The good thing about all this is that it is just the start, the tip of the iceberg and I will continue to grow in ways I cannot yet imagine. Everything seems clear now I know this, now I see that I am equal to everyone I meet, now I can do anything. I finally come to the achievement that outshines all others: I like myself for who I am.