Saturday, January 15, 2005


San José State Museum, San José, Costa Rica

Through dusty stone artifacts of exotic creatures I go on my quest. I walk forward, ready to bolt, and then I am through the door and inside, the inner sanctums of the San Jose state museum open to me. The academics and researchers I suddenly encounter there seem very surprised by my sudden presence in their office.

Looking back I can imagine that it must be quite uncommon for the workers in the department of archeology and restoration to get many tourists demanding instant tours (especially with the head of the department)

Likewise the members of the Organization for Public and Private Unions seemed surprised as we turned up unannounced at their door requesting an audience. We had found out about this organization from a taxi driver when Steve was asking his opinion on free trade agreements and he promptly took us to meet the experts.

It says a lot for Costa Rica that in both cases we gained what we wanted and that I now feel personally enlightened. The people we encountered were so passionate about their different fields that one felt bombarded by facts and enthusiasm to the point where I would exit the meetings struck dumb with what I had learned.

Now as I woefully tramp the corridors of my hostel I feel an urge to teach what I have learned. I am compelled to sit down and start conversatings with “Did you know…?” and lecture for hours. It is only with great effort that I do not tell of the mysterious stone balls on the Costa Rican hills, of CAFTA, which will destroy the superior government systems here, of shamanic rituals and Spanish conquest. And really when you get down to it, of Costa Rica its self.

No comments: